The Sheep have come home to roost!
On some of the questions, there was substantial agreement. On others, you guys were all over the board. Without further ado, here are the results:
1) The most famous baseball card is ___________.
|T206 Honus Wagner||26|
|1952 Topps Mickey Mantle||7|
This question was the one with the most agreement of any question -- 26 of 34 said the T206 Honus Wagner. I was surprised that nobody chose the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr.
2) A current or former MLB player named "Bill" or "Billy" is __________.
I expected these results to be all Buckner and Williams when I posted it - Ripken never crossed my mind. But ol' "Rick Face" himself came out on top with over 2x the votes of his nearest competitor.
3) A current MLB catcher is __________.
Apparently only the NL catchers matter to you guys.
4) The "junk wax era" ended in this year: __________.
The exact year is up for debate, but the window of 1992-1996 is fairly well-agreed-upon. Except for the one who thinks it ended last week.
5) If I could own an MLB team, I would choose this one: __________.
Looks like a little East Coast vs. West Coast battle going on here. The Dodgers take it by one vote. However, there was one vote for this team:
|(Not a Baseball Team)|
6) Name a member of the Boone family that played in the big leagues: __________.
7) A current or former Pittsburgh Pirate player is __________.
You had a lot more possible choices here, but stuck with only 3 different guys. This was "Sheep" at its finest! :-)
8) This number is the most iconic record in baseball: __________.
Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak took the top spot here, with Jackie's # and the Home-Run records following behind.
9) The ideal baseball card set should have this many cards in it: __________.
The fans of the Topps overproduction sets came out in force here.
10) When going to a baseball game, I buy this many beers: __________.
The good news...only 2 of my blog readers are those drunk guys screaming in the 4th inning. For everyone who answered 2 beers, that'll only cost you 28 dollars.
11) The greatest third-baseman of all time is: __________.
"The Human Vacuum Cleaner" made it close, but Schmidt took this one.
12) A team in the American League West is __________.
One of these things is not like the other....
13) The best "role model" in baseball right now is: __________.
|Ken Griffey Jr.||1|
I'll teach my kids to be like Derek - always make sure you give your conquests some autographed memorabilia.
14) The most I would spend on one World Series ticket for my favorite team is __________.
Only $15 for the World Series? I've spent more than that for Spring Training. :-)
15) The age at which girls become more important than baseball cards for a card-collecting boy is __________.
16) A pitcher in the 2013 All-Star game was __________.
Even Rivera's final All-Star game appearance wasn't enough to top Clayton.
17) The most-poorly-run franchise in baseball is: __________.
18) The scariest current or former pitcher for a batter to face: __________.
Randy Johnson vs. John Kruk:
I just learned who Ryne Duren was, too.
19) A baseball team that has blue as one of its team colors is __________.
Even though they have BLUE in their name, the Jays could only swing 8 votes.
20) I feel cheated if I spend more than this amount for a pack of cards: __________.
If all the 99-cent people had rounded up, $3 and $5 would have been tied! One person only buys Opening Day and Triple Play, I see.
Scoring and Winners:
As I mentioned originally, for each question you get the number of points equal to the number of people who gave the answer you did -- highest score wins.
Without further ado, our winners are: TTG and The Lost Collector!!! The local Dodger-bloggers (Stealing Home and Greg Z) were close in 3rd and 4th.
Here's what we have for the standings:
|TTG (Joe) - fromanunlikelysource||254|
|The Lost Collector||245|
|Stealing Home/All Trade Bait All The Time||244|
|Greg Z/Plaschke, Thy Sweater Is Argyle||240|
|Daniel/It's like having my own Card Shop||231|
|Josh D / Royals and Randoms||226|
|The Diamond King||219|
|Dhoff / Coot Veal and the Vealtones||218|
|Thoughts And Sox||213|
|RAZ @ The Raz Card Blog||210|
|Great Sports Name Hall of Fame||210|
|Alex M/Chavez Ravining||207|
|Jeff - One Man's Junk (Wax)||207|
|Nick P./Dime Boxes||206|
|Matt / Tenets of Wilson||203|
|Zach from Autographed Cards||193|
|Kerry B / Cards on Cards||185|
|Gavin at Baseball Card Breakdown||177|
|Play at the Plate||169|
|Bleedin' Brown and Gold||166|
|The Junior Junkie||139|
I also said I would give one prize to a random participant. Thank you to those who promoted the contest on your blog....I have double-entered you here. The traditional 3 spins of the randomizer yields....The Junior Junkie! Congrats!
I would love to run this game again in the future. Thanks to everyone who entered. If you have any comments about how this ran, or if you have any good ideas for future questions, please post them in the comments below.