Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Night Owl Mixtape

Better late than never??  Let's hope so.

The one-and-only Night Owl recently sent me a bubble-mailer (thank you!).  Does October count as "recently?"  I'm going to say yes and show you the goodies in it regardless of my belated response.

This was during the Playoffs, so Free Agency hadn't even begun, but Night Owl kicked off the package with this note:
Lorenzo Cain was expected to be on his way out the door.  Same with Moustakas, Vargas, Minor, Escobar, and Hosmer.  The Royals went hard after Hosmer, but the Padres went harder.  Somehow, we re-signed Moustakas!  Escobar too (for some reason?).  But of course, that note reminded me of this song:


So I figured, let's make this whole post a music post!  Every card I'm showing will get a music video.


I am still slowly working on this subset from 2013 Ginter.  The addition of Mercury is like the addition of Freddie Mercury!



 X-fractor-y David DeJesus just collided with...somebody. Was it Howie Day?


 A "sepia parallel" is just another name for Brown.  Like Zac Brown.

Night Owl threw in a good little stack of 1973 Topps Royals, including Mr. "Monty" Montgomery.  That's his real name.  Perhaps he should have been named "John Michael Montgomery" instead?  

Steve Busby threw not just one but two no-hitters for the Royals between 1973-1974.  That's why he was immortalized in lyrics by Wham!
"Wake me up before you go-go,
Busby just threw another no-no." 
Really.  Those are the lyrics. Trust me.


This card of Sluggerr features him wearing the Johnny Cueto dreadlocks from 2015.  Speaking of unexpected dreadlocks, here's P.O.D.!
This is a mini "black" parallel of Alex Gordon from Ginter, but these black parallels have so much white in them, I can't tell if they are black or white.


  What can I say about Salvy?  This Salvy is BLUE.

There we go - a song for every card.  Which card/song is your favorite?  Which songs would you have used for any of these cards?






2 comments:

  1. I'm old school but not super old school, so my favorite is the '81 Busby of course.

    Can't say I'm a fan of any of those songs, but the blue aliens are fun.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...