Tuesday, April 4, 2023

I did it again - Bulk Buy - $110

[Jim Nantz voice]

Hello friends.....

[end Jim Nantz voice]

I bet you thought I was dead!  I'm not....but you can always hope.  :-)

I'm back because I have been perusing Craigslist and Facebook for cheap card lots recently.  Found this one this week...an older guy one town over has an Ebay business...and is trying to wind it down/get out completely.  Super-friendly guy.  Long story short, these were not his best-best cards (ie, won't be finding any J-Rod rookies, Wander, Ohtani, etc.) which he is still selling online, but there are still lots and lots of inserts and parallels, along with the occasional lower relic/auto cards, and a TON of recent base cards.  Everything is from the last 4 years.  Lots of Prizm, Chrome, etc.  Fun, shiny stuff. 

All the packs have been opened and then he used these blasters to just store the cards he couldn't sell outright.  Every single one of those boxes is packed full...so much more than one blaster's worth of cards in each. 

I counted 57 blaster-sized boxes, 4 almost-complete factory sets of 2022 Topps (removed the image variations and the relic), and the large 2-row box that is almost all football rookies and parallels.  Picked up a handful and it had 8 Devonta Smiths in it.  :-)   He estimated 12,000 cards, but it might even be more than that.  

Distribution is approximately 40% baseball, 35% football, 20% basketball, and 5% hockey (who collects hockey?).  

It's a lot of volume but at that price ($110) I just had to pull the trigger.  He said he originally started it at $400, but has been dropping the price since he got no takers and wanted to get rid of it.   Bought a Brock Purdy rookie and a few Breece Hall cards from him on the side for my Iowa State PC, too.  

This is going to be a fun rip/sort with my son who is very interested to get into all of these.  Am very happy based on what I've seen so far.  Might take us awhile to get through it, but we'll get them into sets, then start putting stuff up on TCDB for trade! 
 

Any recent players that you are collecting?  I can keep an eye peeled for them.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, nice. That would be a lot fun to go through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! We've opened 3 blasters so fun and there's lots of shiny stuff.

      Delete
  2. Have fun going through all of those, should be a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a lot of volume of cards I haven't seen.

      Delete
  3. OK, you made up for starting a post off with Jim Nantz.

    If I posted only when I found bulk buys, my blog would be blank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking lot of cards. Have fun going through the cards. And, yes, I have collections in hockey cards. If you are not keeping the hockey cards, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a team/player/set that you like, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

      Delete
  5. I kinda miss buying collections like this and flipping through them. Hope you find lots of cards for your personal collection and some hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The discovery/treasure hunting aspect is the most-fun part. There are definitely some cards of my PC team/players that I'll be keeping.

      Delete
  6. Does this mean that your son has caught the collecting bug as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's caught the "opening stuff" bug... :-)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the big deal! Wouldn't mind seeing a Top 10 of finds!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...