Tuesday, July 23, 2024

10 Bucks at an Estate Sale

I was browsing on FB Marketplace, and someone in the next town over was doing an "online estate sale" -- posting single items or lots they had for sale.  Scrolling through, I saw one of the pictures looked like this.


I was a little worried that it said "Pre-1990s" (since that includes the 1980s junk wax), but it had a 1972 Topps on the front and the backs I could see poking up looked old, too.   I was itching to open something -- I had nearly purchased a Fairfield Repack blaster at Target the night before, and talked myself out of it -- so I bought it!  I was expecting about 150 cards from that picture, so for half of the price of a blaster I was willing to gamble.  Let's see what was in there.

Total cards:  212

I'll go "oldest-to-newest" on these.

1968: 1 card // 1969: 2 cards

The Alley is in good condition.   The checklist, however, is all marked up. 

1970: 3 cards

Some nice cards to go in my trade boxes here.

1971: 56 cards

Here's where we start to get into the majority of the box.  There was a big stack of these.


Condition varied a lot.  The two on the top row were in fantastic shape!   The ones on the bottom - eek!  I'm not sure how you do that to the corners without tearing them off.

There were a couple highlights in here - Two Willie Stargells.  Pops!   One in pretty nice shape, and one a bit more worn.

Two of Pirate legend Bill Mazeroski, and a nice condition card of Dock Ellis.

1972: 99 cards.   

When it looked like there were a few '72s in the box....I definitely underestimated!   This was half of the box. 

Condition varied a lot on these.  Here's some bad guys.  Many of them looked like they had water damage on the top edge, which sullied some otherwise nice vintage cards.   The Maddox is a LITTLE miscut.  Someone took a red pen to Carlton/Seaver, and they have apparently made a lot of progress on their '72 checklist, too!


Showing the damage a little more...you can see it at the top of these HOFers.


However, there were quite a few "names" which were in outstanding condition!  Will keep a few of these and trade the rest.  Another Dock Ellis, too.


1973: 21 cards

Here's everything from that year.  Brooks suffered a little top damage, but the Blyleven looks nice.


Rockcards!  13 cards.  Someone opened a pack of these.  It had a few big stars I recognized.

The rest: 16 cards

 There was some other junk in there (including a little pile of bent 1994 Topps).  But these all caught my eye - George Bell "hole puncher" variation, an Elks membership card from Palm Desert, CA (I don't live there....), a Yamaha motorbike, and a nice 1994 Piazza.

I will enjoy putting these in my trade list on TCDB.  If you see anything you'd like, let me know!

In summary: 
Did I enjoy the variety in this box?  Yes!  
Did I get my money's worth?  Yes!  
Was this better than a repack blaster?  Yes!  

So I end this post as a happy camper.

Question:  Which card should I keep in my collection forever and ever?

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right place, right time. Had to look at a lot of garbage ads to find this one. Haha!

      Delete
  2. I guess I should start browsing FB Marketplace. One of my buddies buys and sells stuff on there, but I've never even checked it out. You got a great deal. Congratulations!

    If I bought this lot and could only pick one card... I'd go with the 71T Stargell (the clean one). It's a tough call though, because I love the 73T Brooks Robinson (such a great photo) and a few of the 72's (Ellis, Allen, & Weaver).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely leaning towards doing a Flagship Dock Ellis run now that I have two nice ones already.

      Delete
  3. Solid pick-up. ... Why choose one card? You've got a whole bunch of cool stuff to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Will have to see what speaks to me the most.

      Delete
  4. I'd say that was $10 well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I love opening packs, but always feel icky afterwards if I don't get something I want.

      Delete
  5. Josh! It's nice to see a new post from you. Hopefully you and the family are doing well. And I'm with NO, why keep just one? You bought them... keep as many as you want!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...