Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Hazel Green Hit Hero

The end of the month brought with it another end -- the blogging career of Area 40 / JBF / Wes Moore.  From his send-off card cornucopia, he sent me one hit...it's a jersey card of my favorite baseball player.that I had never seen before.  Nice, strong photo.  Awesome die-cut jersey window.  Description of the jersey on the back.  I know it sounds like I am keeping my calm, but THIS IS KIND OF A BIG DEAL AND IT MAKES ME VERY HAPPY. 

Enough about the card - just a quick message to Wes on his way out.  My wife and I came up with a family "mission statement" a few years back about what we wanted our family to be like.  It was a bit aspirational, but one main characteristic we said we wanted was to be generous.  I say this is aspirational because my natural inclinations are to hold onto things, money, and comforts too tightly.  However, if I want to be truly generous, I have to work at it -- to relinquish those things without bitterness for the good of another person.  So to help me figure this generosity thing out better, I go looking for examples -- people doing it already so I can see what it looks like.  I can think of no better immediate example than looking at the card-blogging community and seeing what Wes has done for so many "random" others through his generosity, and I am in awe.  I have thought about this more times that you can imagine and it is flat-out inspiring to me.  So from one collector to another - thank you.  Not just for the cards, but for a model of something truly important.  That is what I will take from this.  Au revoir!


5 comments:

  1. Well said. I'm not a generous person by nature, not helped by the fact that there was a good stretch of my adult life when money was tight. Now I'm learning to be better and the hobby really helps with that. So many examples of people who give.

    I'm actually away from home, looking forward to opening my haul from Wes' break when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh

    Thank you so much for this post. I really appreciate it! Best wishes my friend!

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really well written post. Wes is the best and the card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree with everything that Tom said!

      Delete
  4. When I think of blogger generosity, Wes is always one of the first people that comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...